Okay, so the holidays aren’t your thing or at least you haven’t had to engage in holiday traditions with someone special for a looong time… but now you do. And the girl is a Christmas junkie! From decorations, to music, to parties, to gifts… she just can’t get enough!
No worries, it’s not all about money & presents. Everyone has different financial obligations & spending LOTS of money is not what will make her happy. Enjoying festivities together, traditions, family & putting thought into any gifts you may purchase is what counts most. Holidays can be stressful but most importantly should be enjoyable & as relaxed as possible. With new relationships, the holiday stress factor can be amplified. What the crazy Christmas gal envisions is probably not even close to what the long-time single dude envisions. The last thing anyone wants is someone to be disappointed on Christmas, so it might be best to discuss what the holiday looks like to each of you. If she is used to a stocking with little gifts in it & she wakes up to an empty stocking on Christmas morning this could definitely put a damper on her Christmas cheer!
A few tips & tricks that show you want to make the holidays special with her:
- Decorating – Even if you have no clue what you’re doing, just help her. Ask if you’re not sure where to put something or how the tree should look, but no matter what you do, do it WITH her. She will love your personal touch being added & will make it more like “our” versus “hers”.
- Family events – discuss it & work out something that works for both of you. Split the time but don’t overwhelm yourselves, especially if this is your first Christmas together, you need to have just “us” time with each other.
- Traditions – find out what traditions she is used to & discuss any you may have. Whether it’s what you eat, whether you bake cookies, what events you like to take part in, anything. You should not give up traditions you want to keep just because your relationship is new. But also start new traditions that means something to just the 2 of you.
- Food – If you’re cooking, let her know what you like, even if it’s not traditional. If you like to have Christmas breakfast before running around to family events, then make sure you talk about it so it can be planned accordingly.
- Inexpensive ideas – this isn’t about gifts but about things you can do together that make your holiday together warm & fuzzy. Watch Christmas movies, play Christmas music while cleaning, cooking, or playing a game together, bake cookies, drive around & look at lights while sipping thermoses of cocoa, wrap family presents together.
Okay, now to address the elephant in the room. Christmas day & gift giving *gulp* Now, I’m sure some are already judging saying “this shouldn’t be a requirement” and yes I do get that but let’s be honest, who wants to wake up Christmas morning, no matter WHAT age & find not one single present with your name on it? I’m going to go out on a limb & say not too many.
The girl who loves Christmas will most likely just buy things without even asking or will non-chalantly ask you questions throughout the days before so she can come up with things on her own. That’s great…..for her. But not so easy for a guy, especially one who is not used to sharing the holiday with someone special and/or he may not feel he knows her well enough to figure a gift out for her. That’s where you have to listen A LOT, girls tend to hint but if she doesn’t then ask questions that will guide you. Better yet, maybe ask a family member or friend of hers for ideas. Trust me, this kind of girl LOVES, LOVES, LOVES surprises!!
First thing to know is that with a crazy Christmas gal, there’s a good chance she may go overboard. No worries though, this is just who she is. She does not do this to make you feel bad or make you feel like you must reciprocate. It’s just her way, she loves the thought of giving gifts & making people smile. These types of girls tend to be thoughtful, they will not only buy things but often try to come up with that one gift that will touch your heart.
Christmas day, know that she will probably act just like a kid! Won’t be able to sleep in, will get up randomly to sneak a peek at the tree (hoping to see if Santa made a pit stop) She will wake up cheerful, brew some coffee, turn on Christmas tunes, maybe put something in the oven for breakfast.
#1 Rule – Put SOMETHING in her stocking. These are not expensive gifts, it’s simple little things that show you know who she is & what she likes. Such things (depending on the girl) as:
- Her favorite chapstick
- Nail polish
- Favorite candy/gum
- Mini lotions
- Fuzzy socks
- Lottery tickets
- Cute post-its
- Airplane bottle of her fave
- Panties (if you’re at this level)
- Mini body sprays/perfumes
- Fave snacks (nuts/chips/granola bars)
- Holiday cocoa packets
- Bath items (if she likes baths)
- Car freshener
#2 – Try your best to make sure the stockings are stuffed & presents under the tree BEFORE Christmas morning. No one wants to wake up to a bare tree & empty sock! Maybe some adults don’t care but this kind of girl wants to re-live her childhood every year. So you have to think like a child!
#3 – Put thought into her gift(s) meaning don’t just give her a gift card, though girl’s do ♥ to shop! Give her something that shows that you listen & you know her. If you have no clue on what to give, ask for ideas. Ask ahead of time, meaning, don’t ask her a week before Christmas what she wants, that tells her that you really haven’t thought about it & it’s not that important to you. Even if you can’t shop a month in advance due to money, still get ideas. That way you can look around for these items & sales over the next few days/weeks.
#4 – Do the shopping yourself. I have seen too many times where men have their mothers or sisters shop for their girlfriends, this is a big NO-NO! Even if you get her the most random, odd gift at least YOU put time & thought into it & that’s what matters to her.
#5 – Keep it a secret!! Don’t talk or hint about it. Hide it well & be sure to wrap it when she’s not around. Wrapping early is a good idea too just in case she decides to snoop, there will be nothing for her to find except a wrapped present.
#6 – Lastly & most importantly, don’t stress. Make an honest effort & she will love just spending her favorite time of the year with you, make it special in your own way & enjoy the love & new traditions you create together.